Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Canon Powershot S500

Our latest gadget is the Canon Powershot S500. Bought for around $400 from Best Buy. It's a small, but medium weight 5.1 MegaPixel camera. It comes with a virtually useless 32Mb CF card that I've swapped out for a 256Mb CF card. So far photo results with the flash are disappointing, looking more like cheap point and shoot than anything, but I bought it mainly as a rapid way of getting images onto the computer.

I expect sunshine shots outside to be pretty great, the resolution is excellent. The software it comes with is mediocre, I haven't yet figured out a way to automatically upload pictures and clear the card when done.

In a tacky move, the camera comes with no case, Canon sell a separate $70 "package" of extras which include a case. So far, I've resisted.